Wednesday 30 December 2009

Resignation from Exeter Parks Watch

Below is a copy of another document (highlighted in blue) presented to Susan Lawrence for inclusion in the minutes of the EPW meeting at which I resigned. Despite several requests to Susan Lawrence to accept this document for inclusion in the minutes, she refused. A copy was given to her and also distributed to others at this meeting.

Despite this post's reference to my resignation from EPW there is still a considerable quantity of information that will continue to be posted on this Blog.

It was also at this time that I resigned my 'position' on the SDNP committee.


Exeter Parks Watch Meeting – Hayes Barton – Friday, 14th March

It is with some regret that as of today I am withdrawing my involvement with Exeter Parks Watch. I feel that, at this time, there are irreconcilable differences and, in spite of trying vigorously to resolve these, I am left with no option but to withdraw, if only for the time being.

I have been concerned for some time about various issues, some of which I raised again at the previous meeting on 8th February. Whilst the points that I raised on the 8th February may have been viewed as critical, if I had been given the opportunity to finish speaking it would have been clear, to all those present, that I was using them as examples to highlight areas where there was scope for reappraisal of ‘working practices’. Unfortunately, my efforts at serious constructive discussion were responded to with open hostility from Christine Fraser/SDNP and, to a lesser degree, Susan Lawrence/EPW. Following the meeting of 8th February, I was asked, by Susan Lawrence, to provide a statement for inclusion in the minutes of that meeting. I provided the statement, as requested, but it was not included in the minutes when they were distributed. This failure is symptomatic of the way Exeter Parks Watch is run by CF/SDNP and SL.

During the interim period between the meeting of 8th February and today (14th March) I have received no information/emails relating to our community from Christine Fraser and only the minutes (incomplete and excluding my first statement) from Susan Lawrence. I have also been excluded from the ‘mailing list’ relating to the 14th March meeting but another attendee did forward a copy of the minutes to me. A clear attempt to exclude me from the information chain. If ‘constructive dismissal’ was applicable to committees then my departure from Parks Watch would, I’m sure, qualify.

In spite of this and, yet again, in an effort to reach a satisfactory solution, I invited Susan Lawrence to my home yesterday for an informal discussion. I asked Susan Lawrence if ‘the ends justify any means’, she chose not to respond. Susan, as always, was not prepared to accept any of my opinions. Susan also commented, "Paul Faulkner is a committee member of Parks Watch and, if Parks Watch pull out of Looe Road Park or are asked to end their involvement, Paul Faulkner goes as well, taking any funding with him. Any requests for funding would then have to be made directly to Exeter City Council". Whilst this comment may be true, the tone in which it was delivered was again typical of the ‘browbeating’ stance taken if anyone has the temerity to raise unwelcome issues. As far as I am aware, Paul Faulkner is an employee of Exeter City Council, and not ‘joined at the hip’ to Exeter Parks Watch. I have always appreciated Paul Faulkner’s commitment and contribution to our community, something I’m sure he is well aware of.
It is regrettable that my opinions of Paul Faulkner have since changed, it would seem that Susan Lawrence's threats of the Parks Department's departure with EPW became a reality.


There have been minor successes for which our community is appreciative; this has never been disputed. There have also been many failures and misrepresentations, but it is essential that, as far as CF/SDNP/SL/EPW are concerned, these can only be presented with a positive ‘spin’ or not at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment